Thursday, August 4, 2011

Attempt At A Cork Board


So, I wanted something to hang in my laundry room above my craft area.  I've been pondering for oh, 9 months or so.  My problem with my house is I get fixated on something and can't see beyond my fixation, which leaves no room for flexibility. 

I found this tutorial on Pinterest for a cork board.  I purchased my fabric weeks ago and I had decided what I wanted, I just needed to start putting pieces together.

I used a Joann's coupon from my Joann's app to purchase my board from Michaels for $4.  It was def only worth $4.  I had contemplated having David making me one but it would be December before we completed that task.

I primed the wood and then
 I attempted to spray painted the wood (more on that).
I let it dry for several hours.

I cut my fabric to fit the board.  I turned it over and traced the edges and then used a fabric rotary cutter to cut the fabric.



I used painters tape to cover what I did not want sprayed with spray adhesive. 


I took the board outside and sprayed the cork with several coats.
I was able to reposition the fabric several times before it set.  I worked from the inside out, smoothing it down with my hands.


Fabric went on great!  Painters tape didn't come off so "clean".  Had a feeling that would happen.
So, I busted out David's electrical tape and wrapped the edges with that.

David is always on me about the laundry room/craft room being so messy.  He says, "Will it always look like this?"  I say, "Yes dear.  I am always doing something!"

So I have a new favorite saying:

Even though I am hardly creative.  

I had this "creative" idea to iron on that phrase.  Well, that didn't turn out as planned.  So, I made a lame attempt to freehand paint it on.  Don't look to closely because it is budget.  

That was a long post for a dinky cork board!



1 comment:

  1. I have a feeling all these "DIY" projects are harder than they look! Your's turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete