Sunday, July 24, 2011

Food For The Winter

Luke and I spent Saturday morning together while Halle was at her bestie's house for a sleepover from the night before.  We went to pick berries "to store up food for the winter".

We have read Blueberries For Sal 100x!  Sal and her mother are picking berries for the winter alongside a mother bear and her cub.  Super cute book.


I had so much fun hanging out with Luke and enjoying his sweet, friendly personality without any distractions.  


He was amazing!  Such a little trooper the entire blistering morning.  Didn't complain about being hot or thirsty one time!  He captured a few hearts along the way and caused a few laughs from pickers on the other side of our bush.  He was so proud of every plump, juicy berry and showed them to all of the ladies picking their 4+ gallons.  

I think some of those ladies are out there for hours.  I would think a row of raspberries were picked through and sure enough I would pass some rock star berry picker with a quart of stellar raspberries.

Luke has a thing for bugs, worms, caterpillars, centipedes, etc.....basically anything he can step on, pull apart, crush with a stick, hold captive, collect, etc.  He hit the jackpot:


That one blueberry bush was covered!


Check out these babies!  Large, juicy and sweet blackberries.  I am so thankful we have a local berry farm. 

I found an easy, low sugar jelly recipe in Family Fun so the kids and I made jelly.



4 cups of berries
1 1/2 cups of sugar
box of pectin

mix, bring to a boil, boil for 1 minute, ladle in jars, cool, freeze!  That easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment