Last week I power cooked a few things that set me up for success for several meals. I cooked a chicken in the crock-pot, which also doubled as homemade broth. I threw in a few onion slices, some garlic, s & p, a bay leaf, etc. I pulled the chicken off and divided it into 2-3 containers.
I also bought a large bag of black beans (I think 3lbs). It is truly so easy to wash, soak and cook them. From that bag I think I got like 10-12 cups of black beans. 1 can is like 2 cups or 15 oz and cost $.63-$1.29, depending on whether or not you buy organic. I paid a couple of dollars for the bag of black beans. I divided the beans into containers ranging from 2 cups to 4 cups and froze most of them.
From the chicken and black beans I have quick made black bean soup, black beans and rice with chicken quesadillas, etc. I add black beans to enchiladas, taco soup, taco salad, chili, etc.
I have been cooking most nights but do not like standing and preparing everything from start to finish. So, I try to have meats and beans ready to go whenever I can. I also will brown a 3 lb package of turkey meat and freeze 2 lbs. Throwing it in spaghetti or taco soup makes dinner so much easier!
A quick, easy soup:
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups chicken
2 cups black beans
1-2 cups salsa
can of rotel
can mexican corn
bring all ingredients to a boil. serve or you can simmer for as long as you want.
top with sour cream, cheese, and fritos or tortilla chips
No comments:
Post a Comment